Saturday, October 01, 2005

Cool Leader

Where i used to work long time ago, my boss told me, "In this world, you either lead, follow or get out of the way !"

When i received an invitation from Austrade to attend a dinner meeting with South Australian Premier Mr. Rann along with Cricketeer Darren Lehman, I couldnt turn it down. The venue was Taj Coromandel and i wore my brand new stitched casual shirt from Raymonds. Looked pretty cool I must say. As i entered the ball room, i was greeted by Harry McClure of ANGLOS magazine, members of the australian alumni asociation and staff of IDP Education Australia. There were others in the room from leading companies and organisations. Everyone of them were in strict formals.....except me. Grrr!!!

Darren Lehman got to the podium from no where. He is like sort of brand ambassador for South Australia and he joked about his premier's dismissal performance against Tamil Nadu (Captained by Kris Srikkanth). Rann was a hit with the ausience. He joked, shared his history, visions for his state and his interest to co-produce a movie with India. He was humble yet assertive, jovial yet disciplined and almost many people around the table began to wish for a similar minister for their state. He was so passionate about Tamil Nadu and his intention to work more closely in years to come.

The night was even more interesting when the Premier and Lehman spent time talking to us. So approachable. I cant think of a single minister in our country with whom one can talk so freely. I remember some time last year when the Indian cricketeers marched out of the lift into the waiting bus and refused to sign a single autograph or even exchange a friendly glance to the little kids or guests of the hotel. They all looked so macho and stern.

Leaders are people who know what they want and achieves them by working with people around them. They are incredibly approachable, considerate and confident. They share their goals with people and explains why a certain goal hasnt been hit. They realise that the best way to succeed is to make others successful. And they are incredibly proud of their roots.

I am sure that I will have a great time working with the minister and his team at some point on some issue.

7 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Kanishkaa said...

I imagined you in formals,head to toe!as long as they didnt mistake you for the parcel delivery guy in Barefoot i guess its ok.
Lehmann is a nice guy.working class hero of sorts.i think any tourist will be friendly and approachable.the real test would be when u set out to australia to meet him and see how approachable he is.

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Chummar Maly said...

Manoj,

Please send me your email ID.

chummarmmaly@gmail.com

Regards,
Chummar

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kansh, I am sure they are approachable. When i was in Australia, it was so easy for me to meetup with so many corporate bossess. No red tape...nothing.

Chummar,
You can contact me on info@studentconcepts.org or through the website www.studentconcepts.org

-manoj

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger jobs123 said...

Hey nice blog, really nice! I just want to let you know I have an beach vacation
site - blog too!
It's a free information site with tips and secrets for saving big money on your next vacation!

It mostly deals with beach vacation plus other stuff
You Can Save Up to 50% off your next vacation
You Should check it out if you get the chance :-)

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. I enjoy reading info on travel insurance I have a blog on a similar subject here travel insurance

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last vacation we were on... ah, forget it it's been so long I can't even remember!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Nov 1 said...

good article dude...but where are you went to meet the big guy in australia....:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise Blog Search Engine < ? indian bloggers # >